Skip to main content

When I met Grant

I remember the day I met Grant Campbell.  I was checking on my son who was playing in the yard at our new house.  As I rounded the corner, I saw him talking over the fence to a guy I didn't know.  The guy was very tall, had tattoos head to toe and I was instant nervous-mama.

I should have known that my sweet child was a better judge of character than I was. 

That man he was chatting with was Grant Campbell, our neighbor and later our friend.

A few days after, Grant and his wife Michelle brought over a little "welcome to the neighborhood" gift and that's when the friendship was born.

They became fast friends.  The guys would go shooting, us girls would have daily chats, coffee and shopping trips together. 

They eventually moved from next to us to across the street.  How fun it was to help them plan out their dreams for this house!

There were many hours of dinners, chats, phone calls over the next years that created a deep bond between us.

Then one day they had to move.   I was sad about it but in a bit of denial... Its like my brain couldn't accept that they would really be moving across the country.  It was hard to accept that I wouldn't see Michelle and Mason every day.......That Grant and Brent couldn't just take off and hunt coyotes.

A few days after they were moved, it set in... and I was crushed to realize the fact was actually fact.  Oh how I've come to miss them!

So tonight, as my dear friend Michelle called to tell me that Grant had passed away in a horrible accident.... the same happened... I was in denial/disbelief for hours... trying to put together how this tall, strong, sweet man could be taken from us so soon.....

I sometimes have to write out my thoughts to truly understand and feel them so this is my way...

I still sit here unable to fully process this news... Its a complete shock and an unreal thing.  The miles between us now feel like continents.  I want to be there with her and comfort her.. This loss is so great, so earth-moving, so hard to accept... my heart is broken.

When it starts setting in that this person you loved is actually gone, you start to reflect and remember things.  Grant was a great cook... he made incredible sauces from scratch and would correct anyone who used "BBQ" incorrectly! He had the biggest heart and cared for people in a big way.... cant believe he's gone.

Life is fleeting.  Its too short.  Those we love are so precious, so worthy of our time and patience and forgiveness. 
News like this, so shocking, earth-changing and painful, causes us to pause and reflect and refocus on what's important.

Hug your loved ones a bit tighter. Take time for one another.  Don't take so much for granted. 

These words are more for me than anyone even reading.

Comments

  1. so very sorry for your loss & I think of his very sad wife how she is grieving too.....so true we need to let love be our banner & not only take the time but make it when we feel we don't have it. It's important!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing your heart, Laureen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Finding My Birth Mom Part 1: Searching

I've always known I was adopted. I am so thankful for this because it saved me from a lot of struggle throughout my childhood.  I will forever be grateful to my parents for being up front about that. Here's my little story.  My parents were told they couldn't have children so they started an adoption journey.... they planned to save for a while but then I was born and suddenly they had a daughter!  A few months later, they discovered my mom was pregnant!  My sister and I are 14 months apart. I never once felt resentment to being adopted or hurt and rejected by my birth Mom.  I always had a sense that it was exactly what was supposed to be.   Even still.... throughout the years, I felt a yearning to know her. As a child I would sometimes lay awake at night, wondering about my birth mom.  Did she think about me? When my birthday happened every year, I always wondered if she was thinking of me that day. Was she happy?  Did I have half siblings? Did she want to know a

Yes, Go to that Funeral. It's Important!

I know people who say "I don't go to funerals". I get it. Sometimes they are uncomfortable. Sometimes they are painful. No one WANTS to feel those things, but I want to tell you why it's important and valuable to be there during those times. First of all, funerals aren't for the deceased, they are for the ones left behind. The ones who loved the deceased. The ones who are faced with loss. Let me tell you what your presence at a funeral can mean. It can mean "I am here because I care about you and the loss you are feeling" It can mean " I am here because the person who has passed meant a lot to me" It can mean "I am here because I've felt a similar pain". You may think your presence at a day like this doesn't have an impact but I can tell you from experience that it does. Those who take time to come share in a last farewell mean more to the family than can be put in to words. Even if you don't k

Think twice before you talk to someone about their weight

I recently had someone comment about my weight.... I have gained about 30 pounds in the last months and I started this year doing something about it... but when this person made her comment.... I wanted to scream, cry and of course, eat. When you  comment on someone's weight even if it is in "concern" for them, you are putting them in one of these situations. 1) They feel great the way they are, confident actually, and attractive and now you've cast doubt on all that. 2) They are already self conscious about it and you just made them feel worse. 3) They are aware they are over weight, are already on a diet or exercise plan but now you've made them question whether or not to continue because they don't want you to think they are losing it for you! You know those snide comments or "joking" comments you slip into conversation?  Yea, you're not that sneaky and they can still hurt! Weight is a very personal thing and unfortunately a str

Meeting My Birth Mom Part 2: The Gifts

After the initial meeting and conversation with my Bio Mom and her Husband, we met again to spend a majority of the following day together. This day didn't start as smoothly as the first, but there were still so many parts of the day that were like little gifts for me to open. Throughout this period of time of getting to know one another, I was able to see glimpses into the life of my bio grandparents and mom.  This is a gift I treasure. I was able to learn of some of the hardships that were overcome by previous generations and present ones.  A gift. I heard tales of tragedy, redemption and growth.  A gift. It's like I was taken on a little journey of continued discovery about the threads that make up part of the fabric that I am, that my Bio Mom is, and where some of our strength to endure comes from. Even as she would tell stories about her parents and grandparents, hearing her tell them, gave me more clarity on who she is as well. How she remembers things, how sh