Skip to main content

3 Weird Compliments if you think about it

I don't know about you, but sometimes people compliment me on things and although my knee-jerk reaction is to say "thank you", I find that it feels weird.

Here are the compliments I am referring to.

1. "Your eyes are beautiful!"

While this is something I've heard a lot, and in turn it caused me to be confident and almost proud at times of my eyes.... it is STILL weird when you think about it! 
Its like I want to say "Thanks!  I grew them myself!"
Getting complimented on something I had absolutely no part of creating, no choice in designing, just tickles my funny bone when I think about it.

2. "Your kids are so cute!"

Again, while every parent LOVES to hear this, isn't it funny?  Its as if my response should be,
"Uh, Thanks, I made them from scratch!". Even though this one strikes me as a funny thing to be complimented on, I am guilty of saying this to others. 

3. "You have a lovely voice."

Yep, another one that is nice to hear but is a compliment about something I had absolutely no control over creating whatsoever.



In my mind, a "real" compliment would be about something I cooked,  created or did.  Something that I had a choice in, or put forth effort to create etc. A true compliment about my children would be about their behavior, not how cute they are.

So the thing is, I have been guilty of giving these compliments myself!  I suppose when we say these things we are stating a fact but it feels like a compliment to the one its being said to.

What do you think?  Are there weird compliments you are given?  Are there silly ones you've given others?

Just a rambling for today!  Thanks for stopping by and reading!

Comments